Thinking budget and ease and trying to eat the least processed food I can this recipe stuck out. What I didn’t know is how much my guys were going to like it. I was worried honestly. My husband said you really can’t call this a salad and my son said this was a salad for those who wont eat salads. For me it was a way to enjoy a salad with warmth. Something I need in the cold winter months.
The recipe doesn’t call for salad but she suggests you serve it on some greens. She also suggests serving with chili sauce, which I did put on mine but I also put out hot sauce for the guys. Yum!!
The recipe is from Nigella Lawson’s book, “Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home“.
Sweet Potato Supper -serves 2
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and dried, but not peeled, cut into quarters
- 16 slices smoked bacon, snipped
- 8 ounces asparagus tips ( I cut up full asparagus and used all of it)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- a few sprigs of thyme or 1 t. dried thyme
- 3 T. canola oil
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes chunks in a large roasting pan and then drop in most of the bacon followed by the asparagus tips and garlic cloves, and finally, the remaining bacon.
- Sprinkle with thyme and pour the oil over.
- Bake for 30 minutes then turn the sweet potatoes over and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Then enjoy!