There is a local place that I love going to that has the best tandoori chicken I have ever had. I teased the chef one time while I was at work and he came in to get some supplies that he really needed to give me the recipe. I wont hold him to his promise to show me next time I am in but who knows, how much fun could that be?
I love Indian food. I am sucker for it. Thai being a close second. Everything about Indian food is homey and comforting to me. Funny thing is I didn’t eat my first taste untill I was in my 20’s. No idea why it calls to me so. The flavors, the warming smells, I really don’t know but what I do know, I could easily eat Indian food daily.
The following recipe is wicked easy and while it’s used on shrimp, I say use it on chicken and toss it on the grill. Heck I bet you could do this with tofu if you’re not the meat-eating sort. Why not right?
I think some tabouli or cucumber slices would be good with this as well. Have fun with this and enjoy it this summer outside under the big beautiful sky.
Tandoori Style Shrimp & Veggie Skewers
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened soy/coconut/regular yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tandoori spice
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 ounces jumbo (21-25 count) peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Combine yogurt, tandoori spice and ginger in a large bowl. Divide marinade between two bowls and add shrimp to one and vegetables to the other. Toss to coat. Marinate at least 20 minutes or up to 8 hours (refrigerated).
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat cooking or preheat broiler. Separate onion wedges so you have about 20 “petals.” Thread shrimp, zucchini, yellow squash and onion petals onto metal skewers. Place skewers carefully on the grill or in a grill basket and grill or broil on a foil-lined baking sheet until the shrimp are cooked through and vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Serve with basmati or jasmine rice.