For some folks it’s meat and potatoes, other’s it’s a roast chicken. For me, comfort food is anything Indian or Thai. I often said the smells and tastes feel like home. People laugh as I am just an Irish girl. Never had Indian or Thai food till I was an adult. There’s just something that talks deep to my soul and spirit. I remember reading a study about how the spices in both Thai and Indian food can help to lift mood. Hands down it works for me.
Locally my family and I go to a great place called Mahi Thai. Family run and owned , the place is a slice of heaven. Only bad thing is when they close for a month to go back to Thailand. Usually in the winter and often when I am craving my favorite thing on the menu, Thai Coconut Soup. I crave this stuff when I am feeling sick with a cold and when the weather turns nasty.
I’ve yet to make a soup that comes close to what I am served at Mahi Thai but this slow cooker version was pretty good. I’d like to make it again and I think at the end I would add fresh sliced mushrooms to finish it off. It was a wonderful treat to come home to on a winter’s night. My family heated up some egg roll to go with it. I know not Thai but a good side with this.
Thai Chicken Soup-Slow Cooker
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 12 ounce cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- cilantro for garnish
- cooked white rice
What you do:
- Mix the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter in a 4-1/2 to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl. Place the chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion and ginger in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add in the peas and cook for 1/2 hour longer. Stir in lime juice and serve with cilantro and white rice.