Last week I missed posting. I apologize but life is happening in all kinds of awesome and crazy ways. I’ve finally found a doctor who listens to me. I am trying acupuncture for the first time in my life and who knew I would love it so much. My sweet grandson is growing and changing daily. I know get smiles when I make my way into his face the way only a grandmother can. Work is good but my hours are changing again and I am adjusting. The biggest news however is my daughter had emergency surgery. Nothing serious but it has us all helping out even more with baby and her. Thankfully she is well and recovering.
I am relying on my crock pot more and more these days. especially the nights I work and my hubby is working later. I am leaving a few things for my youngest son to finish off as he loves cooking and helping out.
I wasn’t sure about this dish when I saw the recipe at Real Simple. I’ve made only one other Indian dish in my crock pot and it was good but I worried if this would ruin me for Tikka Masala or my daughter who is a Masala junkie, much like her mother. But to both our surprise it was spot on. Only complaint we both had it it needed more spice and so next time I will bump it up for our taste buds.
This isn’t one of those dishes where you come home and just eat. You will need to do a few things. I admit I didn’t have my son shred the chicken like suggested. I just cut it up into small pieces. My son finished the dish for me so the family could eat. Which was adding the cream and cooking up some rice. Easy peasy!
Chicken Tikka Masala for the Slow Cooker.
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice blend)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
What you do:
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.