Lately I am learning a lot about myself and others. It’s been an interesting journey with a lot of ups and downs. The biggest lesson I learned in the last week is that sometimes you just feel “eh” and it’s ok to ask for help, take shortcuts and rest. I am not very good at this as when I am resting I am feeling guilty about resting and thinking I should be doing so much more. Which adds to my stress thus not helping me with my health. Oh what a fun ride this thing called life is right?
I wasn’t sure if I was going to share this recipe or not to be honest. It too was just “eh”. But there’s the thing. I am going to remake this over, do it my own way and try again. I’ll share the upgraded version when I do. But for now I thought maybe someone might actually like this.
Things I think went wrong with it were that the peppers were to soft and that the filling was to sweet. Yes to sweet. It was odd. I had thoughts of a dish I made years ago when I was able to do the French Fridays with Dori and a Moroccan dish we all made. Wasn’t bad but wasn’t my cup of tea either.
I think my family and I like a more savory or even spicy stuff pepper so if that is something you like I suggest possibly using your favorite meatloaf recipe in place of the meat filling here. Play around with it and make it your own.
Picadilo Stuffed Peppers – Slow Cooker
- 1 1/2 jar(26 oz) marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 lg bell peppers (preferably yellow and orange)
- 3/4 lg bell peppers (preferably yellow and orange)
- 12 oz ground beef (93% lean)
- 3/4 Cup converted rice
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 Cup Craisins
- chopped parsley (garnish)
- In medium bowl, stir sauce, vinegar, cumin, and cinnamon. Pour 1 1/3 cups of sauce mixture into 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Finely chop the half bell pepper. Slice off top 1/2″ of remaining peppers. Seed peppers and reserve tops.
- In large bowl, using your hands, combine beef, uncooked rice, onion, raisins, chopped pepper, and remaining sauce mixture. Spoon resulting mixture into peppers and replace tops. Place into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through. Serve topped with sauce from pot. Garnish with parsley, if desired.