I’ve shared before how it’s best to keep certain things stocked in your pantry. It makes it easier to throw something together or easier for the weeks that maybe your budget is a little lean. I like to keep things in both my pantry and freezer that I could whip up a meal or at least just buy a few little things to make a meal out of.
Gnocchi is one of those things. I feel like it cooks up even faster than spaghetti, so it makes for the ultimate fast food kitchen dish. All you need to do is add a little sauce or veg to it and maybe some sort of protein and your ready.
I have in my index of recipes a few gnocchi recipes this is a play on one. Just switching out a few things to make it different. I was craving kale and the guys in my house can always eat bacon. Actually if i put bacon in a dish it almost is a forgivable that there is not a big old meat side for them. Almost that is.
Gnocchi with Bacon and Kale
- 2 pkgs of gnocchi
- one small onion, chopped
- 1 bag of fresh kale , washed and cut up
- 12 oz container of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 10 package of bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- Put a large pot of water on the stove to boil for cooking the gnocchi in.
- While water is heating up, in another pan, heat up olive oil, I use about a tablespoon. To the hot pan add onion and cook untill soft and translucent. Add kale to the pot and stir untill starting to wilt. Add cherry tomatoes and continue cooking untill kale has wilted. Season with salt, pepper and spices. Go easy with salt as you will be adding bacon next and don’t want it to salty.
- By now water should be boiling. Cook gnocchi according to package. Usually takes 3- 5 mins. When gnocchi floats to top they are done. Drain.
- Add bacon to vegetable mixture, then add gnocchi and give a good stir.
- Serve with parm or cheese of your choice and enjoy!