After getting diagnosis, and running into a good friend who had a possible suggestion as to why someone like myself , someone who doesn’t fit the ideal reasons to have pre diabetes, I went looking for some healthier recipes than I have been cooking lately. I am few days away from my appt with my doctor so I am not trying to do to much radical change in my life till I speak to him. So I went back to what I know always makes me feel good. What helped me feel good when I was a teenager. I went to look at a candida diet.
I will state that I am in no way eating strictly by this diet. I just felt a meal or two would be helpful at the moment. I also tend to do this in the summer anyhow. Usually the meals are easy to make. Fresh vegetable are easy enough to find at the moment too. I planned two meals this week from the diet and today I will share the first of the two I cooked. Coconut chicken over spinach. I did a few changes to both reciepes but you can find the original and more at The Candida Diet.
I wasn’t expecting anyone to like it. I don’t know why. It sounded good but I figured I’d get a smile and a clean plate at the least. My 14 year old who now eats and then runs back out the the door to hang with his buddies actually told me multible times how good this was and could I please make it again. Everyone liked it and there was nothing left for leftover. So I’ll take that as it was a hit. Easy enough to cook after a long day I’ll actually call it a winner. Budget friendly too.
Coconut chicken over spinach
what you need:
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 6 cups of baby spinach, washed
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 can of coconut milk ( I used Trader Joe’s Lite coconut milk)
- 3 Tbs of coconut oil
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- small handful of peanuts , crushed (use what ever nut you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Add coconut milk and spinach to a pot and put on low simmer.
- In a pan heat coconut oil and saute onion till soft. Add chicken and cook untill cooked through.
- Add chicken & onions to spinach and coconut milk. Stir. Season to taste.
- Serve with crushed peanuts as garnish and lime wedges .
If you need more for the meal I say serve with a nice brown rice or a basmati rice.
Untill next time!