Health coaches are not some strange mythical creature that never eat anything bad or sweet. I am finding this is the usual thought when I share I am a health coach. No my dear friend, and I am only speaking for myself here, I eat sweets and junk food. Just there’s a trick to it all.
So with spring here, and a holiday weekend upon us here’s a great sweet recipe that honestly you can feel a lot better about making up. Reason being is you are not going to use a mix and you wont be using some can of frosting. So that in it of itself saves you extra calories and odd chemicals for your body to digest.
Besides it’s a holiday weekend. Enjoy it and dump the diet please. Holdiays are about fun and enjoyment. Not diets and limits. Need permission? Ok I grant you permission to eat that cream filled egg this weekend. Just this weekend though. And not cases of them every day all weekend long.
Besides there is a real health benefit to lemons. I am going to be sharing that next week with a really delish recipe and a video with more details from my very own kitchen!
For now let’s enjoy a sweet treat that will brighten up your spirits after a long, long , long winter.
Lemon Filled Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze
Makes 8 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cup of cake flour (the non self rising kind)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (that’s 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup of sugar + 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons +4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (that’s about 4 ozs)
- Preheat your oven to 350 and then line 8 cupcake pans with liners
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk in lemon zest.
- In another bowl cream 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar, plus 2 teaspoons of lemon juice untill smooth.
- Beat in on egg at a time inot sugar mixture untill smooth.
- Combine your mixed wet ingredients with your dry mixed ingredients untill you have a nice batter.
- In another bowl mix together cream cheese, remaining 1 tsp of zest, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice untill you have a smooth lemon cream.
- spoon batter into each cupcake pan to only fill about half way.
- Now spoon about a tablespoon or so of lemon cream to top each pan with batter.
- Spoon remaining batter over lemon cream filling. and smooth out the tops.
- Bake in oven for 20 mins or untill golden brown.
- remove from pans and allow to cool. Once cool top with glazw.
How to make glaze:
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- zest of one lemon
- mix lemon juice with sugar untill dissolved in a microwable bowl.
- Whisk in butter and lemon zest.
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Whisk untill smooth and drizzle over cooled cupcakes and allow to set.
Decorate or enjoy as is!
See you next week!