Warning the following recipe and post is a comfort food recipe. While the noodles were the only processed food I used, I can’t really say this is healthy but it is if you’re looking for some comfort food and have a victory to celebrate. I’ve always said everything in moderation, even moderation.
I love lasagna and when I can get the recipe from a friend who made the most perfect vegetarian lasagna I have ever eaten I will share it. For now you are getting my put on your big girl pants and enjoy recipe and you wont have a kitchen full of dishes to clean up after.
Kitchen tools you will need:
- dutch oven or other large oven proof pot
- cutting board
Again , I am going to say it, this is pure comfort food. Easy , yummy comfort food. Use as fresh as ingredients as you can, organic and grass fed and feel good about this dish.
Why comfort food? I mean come on I am a health coach right? Yeah, and I know when to feed myself something delish like this. When not to give a hoot about my waistline or the scale. This is more about love, enjoyment, treating myself and relaxing. Yes I can do that with another recipe but it’s been cold here recently and I wanted something warm and well…comforting.
My son is the one who gave it the name “dirty lasagna” because it’s not layered like a normal one. I agreed because my dirty secret is bacon.
preheat oven to 350
- 5-6 no cook lasagna noodles
- 26 oz can of plain tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup of broth OR wine Or water
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 lb of ground beef or pork
- 6 or 7 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
- 3 tsp of basil
- 3 tsp of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups of mozzarella ( shredded)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- In your oven proof pot, heat oil. Add bacon and cook till just about crispy. Add onion and cook for about 2 mins more. Add ground beef and garlic and cook untill beef is browned.
- Add tomato sauce and spices. Simmer for about 10 mins.
- Add the ricotta cheese and stir until melted and blended in the sauce.
- Break up your noodles. Place some in the sauce mixture. Pressing down to the bottom with a spoon. Put in about half of your mozzarella. Add the rest of your noodles. Make sure they are covered with sauce. Top with the rest of your mozzarella.
- Bake in oven for 25 mins.
- If you want to brown the cheese crank up the oven to 425 and cook for 10 mins more.
- Pull from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 mins. Top with fresh grated parm and serve with a salad to round out the meal.
Lasagna is one of a few of my favorite comfort foods. What foods do you enjoy eating to give you that cozy warm feeling?