Winter is not officially here, and even in New England it has been unseasonably warm. Still the dark rolls in earlier and there is a sense that winter will be full blow upon us soon. With that my soul calls out for comfort food and warm fuzzy socks.
I have a list of meals I only make in the cold months. I love anything a that can be done in a Dutch oven or my largest cast iron skillet make me crazy happy. The following recipe can be made in one skillet and it best made in one that oven proof. The smells and colorful look can really brighten up the darkest winter night. I promise your family will like this and to top it off…it’s healthy. ACK! I said it. Comfort food that is healthy, scary good.
Turkey & Sweet Potatoes Skillet Casserole
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced.
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup of mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup of water or turkey or vegetable broth.
- Green onions, chopped
- In your oven proof skillet, heat up some olive oil and cook the ground turkey and garlic till browned. About 8 mins. Add onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring often until the veggies are soft.
- Add your diced sweet potatoes , broth and spices. Put a lid on and cook over low heat, stirring often until the potatoes are soft. About 15 – 20 mins.
- Take lid off and sprinkle mozzarella over the top and place skillet under the broiler untill the cheese is melted.
- If you don’t have an oven proof skillet that is ok. Just sprinkle cheese on top and allow to melt.
- Sprinkle green onions on top and serve.
I suggest eating this while catching up with family or while wrapped up under a blanket while you binge on movies that make you happy.
Untill next time,