A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went on a rare all day Sunday date. We might go out for dinner or sneak in a lunch date now and then but this was a full blow, all day, nothing to do , hangout and have fun Sunday date. We made the most of it by going to a local aquarium , our first time doing something like that with out any kids with us. What a lot of fun that was. But before the aquarium we hit a really amazing noodle house and had our fill slurping up ramen and pho. I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing the food was. If your ever in South Norwalk, Connecticut, you must hit Mecha Noodle Bar. I wish I had taken pictures of our food but we just dove in and then switched bowls of a bit before switching back. So good.
The weather had turned rather cold recently and I was craving slurpy soup. A trip to the noodle bar was not in the works as for the past couple months I have been working at nursing home and I work a few evening shifts and weekends, and we have an amazing son who plays soccer and is in training camp at the moment. Through a friend , I did find out about Asian Supermarket in my town I have never been to. Not sure how that has happened. How I drove past this place for however long it’s been there is beyond me. So hubby and I went in search of good slurping noodles and a few other goodies. I see a lot of future trips there. What a gold mine of Asian treats. If you live in Milford,Ct you have to check out the Asian Supermarket on the Post Road. Staff was so nice too.
I had gone shopping with a list of ingredients for a recipe for a good spicy soup , I bought the ingredients but somehow managed to totally loose it. Oh well I thought. I’ll just wing it. So while watching a good movie and hiding from the subarctic temps outside the following easy soup came to be.
Spicy Shrimp and Udon Soup
- 1 package of udon noodles (use whatever noodle you want)
- 6 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable stock)
- 1 1/2 lbs of shrimp , cleaned
- 2 bell peppers (whatever color you want), diced
- 2 cloves of garlic , crushed
- red curry paste
- chili oil (optional)
- sesame oil
- green onions (chopped)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- bean sprouts
- lime wedges (some for garnish , 2 for the juice )
- In good sized soup pot heat up a little olive oil and some chili oil ( I did equal parts). Cook your bell peppers until starting to get soft.
- Meanwhile in another pot, heat up water and cook noodles according to the package.
- When peppers are soft add, garlic and cook for another 2mins.
- Add about 2 tsps of red curry paste to the pot and give a good stir. Then add the chicken broth. Give a good stir and add more curry paste until you get the level of “spice” you want. Simmer the soup while your noodles are cooking.
- When the noodles are are done, drain and rinse under cold water. Pour a few tsp of sesame oil over to coat.
- Add the shrimp to the broth and stir. Once the shrimp is cooked, add the noodles and cilantro and a the juice of two lime wedges.
- Serve the soup with chopped green onions and bean sprouts and lime wedges.