I finally came to the end of my bargain deal box of 40 lbs of chicken thighs I had packaged up in my chest freezer. We only ate the chicken the same way a few times and that was our favorite recipes. I’ll be sharing one more dish with chicken thighs that I did with this deal box that was delish. That one will take us to Paris. For today’s post, we stop in Korea for a sticky , spicy and sweet dish.
First I have this share the side I did with the chicken. It was super easy and great for anyone trying to cut a little sugar out of their diet or make up for the sugar in this chicken recipe. Cauliflower Rice. So good. I could honestly eat this a lot more and plan on trying out some other ideas using it. I have seen cauliflower rice in the store, frozen which is easy to do but I have to say making it was easier on the budget and took maybe all of 15 mins.
To make cauliflower Rice all you need is :
- 1 head of cauliflower
- kosher salt or sea salt
That’s it. You take the florets off the head of cauliflower and in small batches give them a whirl in your food processor untill they look like rice. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a grater to grate the florets so they look like rice. Then in a large skillet, you heated over med-high heat, you add the cauliflower and about 1/2 of water. Give a few stirs, place a lid on the pan and cook over med heat for about 8 mins. Giving a stir now and then. That’s it!
Now for the Korean Chicken. I loved this dish. The color was beautiful, the taste was such a great mix of sweet and spicy with a nice crispy skin that was also just a tad sticky. The perfect combination for finger licking good.
Gochujan sauce is a Korean chili paste that is fermented. I love fermented foods. You can find it at most Asian market. I was blow away that our local grocery store that normally has slim pickings actually had it. They don’t carry red curry paste so this blew me away. it’s a spicy paste but I can see using this on all kinds of things. Pork comes to mind but I think steak would be amazing too. I will be experimenting with it for sure.
Korean Chicken Thighs
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in and with skin)
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 6 Tbls Gochujan paste (Korean chili paste)
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional , use only if you like more heat)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I use a garlic press)
- one bunch of sliced scallions
- black sesame seeds
- In a large bowl or container , place your chicken thighs. In another bowl mix together the honey, Gochujan , soy, sesame, ginger , and garlic. Pour over the chicken , mix and make sure all the thighs are covered. Cover and allow to marinate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. In a baking dish lined either with parchment paper or greased so the chicken won’t stick, place your thighs. Cover the chicken with the sauce in the bowl and cooking the oven for 45 mins. Turn the chicken at least three times in the 45 mins.
- Crank the heat up to 425 and cook the chicken for 15-20 mins more. Keep a good eye on it so the sugars (honey) doesn’t burn but you want to finish cooking the chicken and give it that beautiful color.
- Serve with sliced scallions, sesame seeds and pepper flakes (if desired) sprinkled on top.