I just returned from a morning walk at the beach and some time sitting in the sand with a good book. It’s March in New England , this is not suppose to happen. Happily I have the morning off and decided to take advantage of it. Yesterday I actually started working In my gardens getting them ready to plant a few seeds. It’s funny to think I just finished knitting a scarf for my son’s girlfriend. That’s the fun part of living in this part of the country. The weather changes quickly.
With the warmer weather I start to crave lighter fare. It’s all part of the eat with the seasons and listen to your body thing. Salads being one but it wasn’t quite warm enough for a full blown cold salad the other day. A chill hung in the air as the sun shown. Almost salad weather. Perfect for warm salad though.
The following recipe is easy. You can make it even easier if you skip roasting your own chicken and pick up a rotisserie chicken. I had to do just that when I made this. The chicken I had bought had turned despite the sell by date and so off to the store I ran and picked up a fresh rotisserie chicken. I shredded the meat off the bone once I got it home and then seasoned it with the herbs I would have roasted the chicken with had I had the chance to roast it myself.
This is a hearty enough salad, but add some warm bread and a glass of wine and your all set for a lovely evening on your back porch enjoying the fresh spring air.
Warm Chicken Salad
- 1 whole chicken (cut up)
- olive oil
- 2-3 tsps. herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp thyme
- sea salt
- 8 oz of fresh green beans
- 10 oz (or so) of baby red potoates
- your favorite mix of greens and lettuces
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 5 or 6 spoonfuls of Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot , minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large pan, place your chicken pieces and coat with oil , herbs de Provence , thyme , salt and pepper. Roast in your oven at 400 degrees for 30mins. Then crank heat up to 425 and finish cooking for another 15 to 20 mins untill chicken is cooked though. Remove from oven. Allow to cook before shredding.
- In a large pot heat enough water to cover whole baby potoates. Boil potatoes for 15 mins or untill fork tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl and slice in half when cool enough to handle.
- In your water you cooked potatoes add your green beans. Cook for 7-8 mins untill they are bright green and just slightly tender. Remove from pot and add to the cut up potatoes.
- In a small bowl add your olive oil, mustard, vinegar , shallot and garlic. I also added a few pinches of thyme to my dressing. Mix in the the bowl untill blended. Add about 1/3 of the dressing to the potatoe and green mixture and stir.
- To plate up put some greens in a bowl or plate, add the potatoes and green beans and top with chicken. Pour a little dressing on top and enjoy!
You can add other vegetables like sliced red onion, carrots , radishes or whatever you have in your fridge. Make it colorful and your own dish!