- I love fresh simple easy meals. I love complicated meals too. You know the kind that take a day of cooking on a lazy Sunday afternoon. But as the days get longer and warmer cooking simple fresh meals seems almost more rewarding than an afternoon of slow cooking.
Recently one of my meals looked like this. A simple crab salad served on a crissont with baked organic sweet potato chips and a glass of rose grapefruit wine. Nothing fancy or hard to make but I think honestly it was just the atmosphere that night. Peaceful, slow, and relaxed. I could have been easy to toss things on paper plates and eat standing in the kitchen that night. But I made sure to take time to make things pretty. Just like I would enjoy if I had gone out to eat on a Friday night.
A few nights later my husband and I shared in getting dinner cooked up. We had gone out and picked out the salmon together and had a nice visit with our fish monger. Enjoyed a day together and then working on our own projects and then came together to cook and enjoy the evening. While the meal was light, I felt more full as I tucked into my salad and enjoyed the conversation with my husband and two sons. It’s nice to reconnect like this. My tummy was full but so was my heart and soul.
That’s what mealtime should be about. A time to sit, relax , reconnect and catch your breath. Feed your body but also your soul. For some that’s beautiful plates, candles, . It might be having family gathered around the table. Stop and think what a really good meal means to you. From the food and drink to the atmosphere.
So here’s the simple salad my husband I cooked up. You can have dinner on the table in less than 30 mins.
Citrus Avocado & Salmon Salad
- Baby spinach
- Green Onions
- Salmon fillet
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Wash the baby spinach. Chop the green onion. Take the skin off the grapefruit and segment it into a bowl. Cut lemon and lime into wedges.
- Slice the avocado into slices and then squeeze lime wedges over the avocado to keep from browning and give it extra flavor.
- Season salmon with a little salt and pepper and cook on either cedar plank that has been soaked or cooked on a well oiled grill untill done.
- To plate up the dish place baby spinach on a plate, then grapefruit, avocado and top with piece of the salmon fillet. Sprinkle on green onion. Dress the salad with juice from the lemon wedges. Or you can use a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil.